Whew! Today we completed our two week swimming course. Here are a few high (and low) lights of the course:
Day 1: Our 3-year old class could easily be described in two categories: those that stayed with the class and those that didn’t. Sadly, one of my children fell into the latter category. Ben wandered away at least half a dozen times, but did well otherwise. Both boys put their faces in the water with ease and enjoyed the pool. I quickly made friends with the mom of another wild boy and together we spent a good portion of the 45 minute class directing our children back to the group.
Day 3: Ben and my new friend’s son were labeled “the runners” by their very nice and very patient teacher. Ace pushed Ben (just because he was excited) on our way out.
Ben bled. A lot. Both boys wailed. Loudly. It took us 15 minutes to walk through the Y (leaving behind a trail of blood that I pretended not to see), out the door, through the parking lot and to our car. All whilst receiving lots of stares, tongue clucks and a few pitying looks.
Day 5: I spent the entire class herding two wild boys back to their class. So, I started thinking and put together a plan. After our lesson, we made a trip to the grocery store where I let them each pick out their own ice cream. Then, I told them that they couldn’t have any until after swim lessons the following day and only IF they stay with the class the entire time. Big kids stay with the class and get ice cream. Babies run away. We looked at it in the freezer all afternoon and talked about how they could earn a scoop.
Day 6: Success (mostly)! We looked at our ice cream again in the morning. Several reminders later, we were at swim class. Ace stayed in class and listened to his instructor, regularly reminding her
that he was going to have an ice cream cone. Ben did great too, but the big slide was just too tempting and mid way through class he made a break for it. Poor Benny. It nearly killed me to give Ace his ice cream in front of Ben, but I did it. Parenting is definitely not for sissies.
Day 8: We made it! I think we are all glad to have our swimming lessons behind us.
So, did we learn how to swim? Um…no.
Did we have fun? Aside from Day 3 and Day 5, sure.
Did we learn anything? Yes! All three of us!
What’s up next on our summer schedule? T-ball! Look out YMCA, we’ll be back.
Thursday, June 05, 2008
Swimming Lessons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment