Saturday, August 12, 2006

My Mother's Daughter

Anyone that has ever met my mom knows that she is a bargain shopper. She finds treasures at garage sales, auctions, thrift stores, and even the side of the road sometimes. I remember when I was in the sixth grade, she found an antique desk chair that was falling apart and badly in need of refinishing in front of someone's house with the garbage. She brought it home and my dad refinished it into a beautiful chair. The next year, I started 7th grade and met my good friend, Tracey. The first time Tracey came over to our house and saw the chair she said, "We used to have a chair just like this, but it wasn't nearly this nice. We threw it out in the trash." My parents still have Tracey's chair in their house, and it's still beautiful. Since we've had the buddies, Grandma has brought them loads of toys for a fraction of what they'd cost retail and we love it.

My point to this story is that I've basically inherited this trait (or sickness) from my mom. A friend mentioned that she was having a garage sale with a lot of her 4 year-old twins' things and I was at her house the second it began. Look at all the cool stuff I bought!! The buddies love their castle slide ($3 - retails for $79.99) and their teeter totter ($2- retails for $39.99). I also brought home some board books and a big pile of clothes - lots of pjs and some nice fall / winter outfits. Grandma will be so proud!

0 comments: